Everyone has those few items, pieces and products that they cant live or leave home without. As a stylist I spend a lot of time around products and fashion. So as spring unfolds into summer we decided to make a list of our favorite items we cant live without for the guys in our life.
- Deodorant– It’s no surprise this makes the top of the list considering that when those guns come out with the sun it brings with it a whole lot of perspiration. This is easily an essential because its one of the first things every man does in the morning. When it comes to a good deodorant you want one without aluminum, which causes your white T’s to yellow around the pits. This is why Baxter of California makes one of my favorite ones. It has a good clean scent and will keep you feeling fresh without the feeling of caked antiperspirant under your arms.
- Beard/Grooming Oil – Beard butters and oils are all the rage right now as we have entered the amazing age where men’s upkeep is no longer a “Metro” thing, it’s a personal essential. With the rise of facial hair in the form of scruff, mustaches and styled beards you need to be sure your keeping that facial hair hydrated and free of dead skin. One of my favorites are by a local source right here in the D, Detroit Grooming Company. The natural oils keep your face and beard hydrated and touchily soft definitely making it a must have.
- SPF- Moisture is important in the summer as well as the winter as the harsh rays of the sun can dry out your skin and cause sun damage. That’s why a moisturizer with an SPF in it is essential. Clinique and Kiehls make a great men’s moisturizer that wont break the bank and will keep your skin feeling hydrated and with a healthy glow.
- Weekender Duffle- We tend to have a lot more going on in the summer, especially those of us who live north of the Mason Dixie line. Having just got through winter and the natural hibernation that comes with it we tend to be much more spontaneous during the summer. With weekends abroad, camping days, road trips and festivals its essential to have a good duffle to throw all your essentials in and pop in the trunk. You can find great styles from Penguin, Shinola, Robert Graham and Under Armour. Nordstrom Weekender Duffles
- Sunglasses- A good pair of sunglasses are invaluable, not only to protect your eyes against the sun but to round out a look or enhance one. The first reason is it helps to create symmetry in your face. This is why most people feel others look handsome or beautiful when they throw on their shades. The Ray-Ban Wayfarer Structure and balance they add to the face creates a look of better symmetry which is what the human eye finds pleasing. are great all around sunglasses for the guy who needs versatility. They come in a variety of shapes and colors and generally one that fit each persons face shape as well as being quite durable for the guy on the go.
- Elevated Short- As we move into the summer heat the choices we have as men become more an more limited as a lot of short options are a lot too casual for most situations. As younger men a lot of us clung to cargo shorts with big pockets by expensive brands that were pre-ripped and tattered for the “I live on the beaches of Malibu,” feel. However as grown men we want to trade in the big pockets for a little more elevated look. My personal favorite is the Oxford short by The Original Penguin Official. They are clean and look great with a white T or polo for an elevated take on a summer look.
- The All White Sneaker- A staple for the men’s essential list an all white sneaker. Why? Because the white sneaker goes with everything. You can pair it with jeans or your new shorts for a more casual look or even throw them on with some trousers or a suit and a white T for a great elevated weekend look. Some of my favorite styles of this shoe can be found from Lacoste, Converse, Adidas and Ralph Lauren. Nordstrom White Sneaker List
- Portable Speaker– With a lot more outdoor activities afoot a portable speaker is a must have for the season. Great for picnics, cookouts, pool days, boat trips and campouts they create the perfect atmosphere with your tailored playlist. Bose makes a great quality speaker that are easy to store and charge for all situations. Bose Sound link Mini
- Cologne– The right scent can change the whole game. When it comes to spring and summer you want to look into lighter scents. The difference is that you want your day scent for this season to be light and airy, nothing overpowering. Just a nice light scent that can be smelt when things get intimate or for close proximity. A few of my favorites are Chanel Bleu, Versace Man and Acqua Di Gio as they all create the perfect scent profile for this time of year.